Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Social networking

I am familiar with My Space and Facebook as my daughters are avid users but I had never thought of the application of these sites to libraries or other businesses. I found the Rotorua Public Library page a good example of what a library could do with this technology. It did concern me , however, that I could go into pages posted by 'friends' of this library and read all sorts of personal stuff about these people. The privacy issue is a big concern.
I haven't posted anything the past 2 weeks although I read all the information about mashups and online applications and tools. I'm afraid the technology has gone a bit past my ability to comprehend at this stage but I am willing to keep trying to learn more. This whole experience has been quite an eye-opener for me and given me insight on how this technology can help libraries move into the 21st century and remain in contact with the youth in our population.
Well done!

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Ring us up for some help! It would be great it you could try a mashup.

I am glad you are finding the course useful.

Ellen (PLS)